BEING stands for Building Ecologically Ingeniously, or a new and sustainable way of building. The name 'BEING' was also chosen to reflect the literal meaning of the word. Being aware: this is a reference to the ever-increasing awareness of people in their daily lives.
Founded by Sebastiaan (Bas) van Dam and Dirk Dekker, we are a young and innovative company, an organisation capable of achieving sustainability in real estate in the economic sense of the word. We base all of our work on the end user's perspective, whereby price, comfort and convenience may never be sacrificed at the expense of the implementation of sustainability.
ECONOMIC AND SUSTAINABLE ACTIVITIES
All of our activities contribute to our mission to create an economically sustainable and responsible environment. At Being Development, we focus on three related activities:
- The realisation of affordable, sustainable design homes based on the residents' preferences and requirements
- The development of sustainable real estate based on the end user's perspective
- Advice on sustainable homes, sustainable materials and technology, and sustainable development
CORE VALUES OF AWARENESS: Dream, Design, Develop
Our core values are based on the fact that we are aware of:
- our dreams as an image for the future;
- the value of a suitable design;
- the need for sustainable development.
People are aware that in a social, community and economic sense, they live together in harmony with their ecological environment (living, working and recreation). A healthy and inspiring environment is one in which the man-made surroundings are attuned to the ecological system, and add value by virtue of their function and self-sufficiency. This type of environment facilitates existing social structures, cultures and individuals in their interactions and lifestyles, thus contributing to the overall quality of life.
Buildings are built in a demand-driven and sustainable manner on the basis of a flexible and efficient set of construction methods. The advantages of this are self-evident, and are rewarded in the form of money, time savings, and optimum comfort.
Thanks to the availability of digital, freely accessible and clear information in today's society, people are well-informed, and have a sense of involvement with and a connection to their immediate environment as a result.
The degree of collaboration at all possible levels related to the building sector is broad and transparent, as a result of which buildings are used effectively, maintained efficiently, made flexible for re-use, and lend themselves well for changes in designated use, depending on changes in society and the corresponding changes in needs.
The buildings are financed, built and in some cases, operated on the basis of a model in which, in addition to the economic, the social costs and income are also taken into consideration with respect to the choices to be made and the valuation of the property. This method of assessment also ensures that supply and the method of offering it meets the demand originating from society, and people's actual needs.
Buildings we spend time in (our homes, places of work, and recreational facilities) are important to us all, therefore we all have a responsibility as residents and/or users to actively contribute to making them more sustainable.
JOINT RESPONSIBLE ENTREPRENEURSHIP
In order to achieve our dreams, it is important for us to work with partners, with whom we can have a positive influence on our environment, based on a shared sustainable vision. We always work with partners who satisfy our quality requirements, and we in turn aim to inspire them with our own unique philosophy and methods, based on 'ISO 26.000 Guidelines for Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR)'. In addition to using legal frameworks, such as our General Terms and Conditions, and the General Terms and Conditions applied by our industry association: FIDAC and UAV GC 2005 as a basis for quotations, offers and agreements, we believe that it is important to reach a consensus that we will work in a responsible and transparent manner. We do this by conveying and announcing our intentions, and by putting all of our signatures to this at the right time. A personal intention is determinative for an action and the consequences which arise from this. This is why one of Being Development's core values is that every individual within the organisation must constantly be aware of his or her personal intentions. This is the only way we will be able to make a positive contribution to our shared mission to help create an economically sustainable and responsible environment. To further reinforce our dedication to this mission, Being Development is an MVO Nederland partner (CSR association of the Netherlands), and advocates the following principles:
- In all of our business decisions, we aim to strike a careful balance between people, planet and profit;
- We aim to leave behind the smallest possible ecological footprint;
- We promote the vitality, employability and development of our personnel;
- In purchasing products and services, we pay close attention to social and environmental aspects;
- We formulate new CSR objectives on a periodic basis, provide honest and clear information on our progress, and are willing to enter into discussions in this regard with interested parties.
In addition, with our membership in the Dutch Green Building Council, we wish to express our support for the mission and vision we share with this organisation:
- To play a trendsetting role in the transition to a sustainably built environment by putting ideas into action, serving as an inspiration and a link;
- To make a major contribution to the transition to a sustainable society that is climate-neutral, to the creation of a pleasant, healthy work environment, and one which will allow the Netherlands to win back its position as a leader in the field of sustainability by making the built environment more sustainable.
By expressing this philosophy and taking action, we aim to stimulate our immediate and indirect environment to also act in a more responsible manner.